High prices, unemployment, inflation!
No, we’re not in a protest of an older era; we’re just looking at the figures that show, unfortunately, the harsh reality that we Greeks experience in our everyday lives...
Unemployment climbed to its highest point in 7 years, since January 2004, reaching 13,9% in November, as compared to 10,6% in November 2009 and 13,5% in October 2010.
As the data presented by EL.STAT. shows, the employed are estimated to be around 4.307.054, down by 157.176 in relation to November 2009 (3,5%) and 62.489 compared to October 2010 (1,4%).
The unemployed increased by 160.624 compared to November 2009 (30,2%) and by 8.530 compared to October 2010 (1,2%), settling at 692.577, while the financially inactive population numbers 4.320.927 people.
In women the unemployment percentage is at 17%, from 13,3% in November 2009, and in men at 11,6% from 8,8%.
The highest rates occur in the ages between15-24 (35,6%) and 25-34 (17,9%).
But EL.STAT. is a bearer of bad news with regard to prices, too. According to its data, inflation rose to 5,2% last January (it was 5,2% last December too) from 2,4% in January 2009.
The general index in January 2011, in contrast to December 2010, showed a decrease of 0,7% compared to the same decrease that occurred during the relevant comparison of the previous year, which is due to the sales.
The increase in inflation to 5,2% came from the following index changes:
1. From the increase of these indicators:
1. By 2,4% in the «Food and non-alcoholic drinks» group, mainly in cereals, meat, fresh fish and vegetables, dairy products and eggs. Part of it was counterbalanced by the decrease in fresh fruit prices.
2. By 19,5% in the «Alcohol and tobacco» group due to the increase in cigarette, alcohol and non-served drinks.
3. By 9,1% in the «Accommodation» group, mainly due to the increase in the prices of oil, electricity, rent, water supply and drainage etc.
4. By 2,5% in the «daily goods-household items and services» group.
5. By 15% in the «Transport» group due to increases of the prices in cars, petrol, maintenance and repair etc. Part of it was counterbalanced by the decrease in traffic taxes.
2. From the decreases of these indicators:
1. By 2,3% in the «Clothing and footwear» group due to decreases because of the winter sales.
2. By 0,6% in the «Health» group, mainly due to the decrease in medicine prices. Part of it was counterbalanced by increases in medical, orthodontal and paramedical services, and private clinics.
Ειδήσεις Δημοφιλή Σχολιασμένα